Tuesday, March 1, 2011

To begin


I started to read long before I can remember, I was a lucky child whose parents read voraciously and taught my brother and I to do the same. The four of us would sit in a room reading our library books and be in perfect accord.

In an ordinary working class Australian home of the 60s and 70s this was less than rare but not common. We read everything we could from the local library, we also had some books of our own.

I always found it difficult to read books or watch films from the two world wars but, at the same time, I became increasingly obsessed with domestic fiction about the wars and the times leading up to and following them. I've always had a rapport with the period which I can't quite explain.

Chick lit never did it for me though I read it. Classics were always a welcome read but they had the scent of the senior English classroom.

Early last month I came across Lyn's blog. I was introduced to a new genre that was being read around the world. Persephone came into my life via Lyn. I am the lucky child who grew up to middle age and skipped across the Internet and found herself at home.

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't live without books and fortunately, I have passed on my love of reading to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also grews up in a house surrounded by books. Both parents were avid readers and I was too for a long time. Of late I seem to have lost the reading bug, but now you've inspired me to take up reading again. Thanks Rose :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, I feel the same as you, very fortunate that I grew up in a house where reading was part of life. Every week my mother took us to the library to get new books and it was such a treat, still is in fact! I'm grown up enough to go by myself now though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Rose! I've often seen your lovely comments on Anna's blog Pleasant View Schoolhouse, and tonight I randomly clicked over to check out your blog. When I read the phrase "domestic fiction about the wars," I thought of a book of my mother's that I just read: Mrs. Miniver by Jan Struther. From what little I know of you, I think it might be something that you would enjoy! I certainly did. :)

    Your picture of bookshelves FULL of books is enticing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just found your blog on Morag Gamble's blog. Your library looks wonderful. I'm an avid reader and appreciate our local libraries, wonderful for retired folk like me so that I can have a new bag of books any time I like!
    I love the movie Mrs Miniver that Davene mentioned, now I have to read the book.

    ReplyDelete